Monday, October 4, 2010

Awareness month

October is Spina Bifida Awareness month...

We kicked the month off by going to our local association's Walk, Run, and Roll. I think I would love to visit every race held all over country someday. So many of our friends who were first-timers at the race commented on what a family atmosphere it was. I typically run, but my mother-in-love was able to walk the whole 5K this year, so I wanted to walk with her.

My Tim ran, though. He finished in 25 minutes flat. But in distributing our seven numbers, he wore my mine. So he was the third place female finisher.


I've already read some incredible posts about awareness. And you know, there are some amazing kids, teens, and grownups with Spina Bifida who warrant year-round featuring.

Cassie is featuring a different child each day on her blog.

Jessica wrote about living with and preventing Spina Bifida.

Sarah showed us just how beautiful Spina Bifida is.

Nellie's Mama wrote about the blessings and challenges.

Gretchen shared about the practical and often cumbersome aspects of sending a child to school with extra supplies.

Joanna--in addition to some absolutely beautiful photos of Jet--wrote about awareness, acceptance, amazing grace, absolute love, and awesomeness.

And Nicole wrote about the importance of folic acid.

Are you doing anything to commemorate Spina Bifida Awareness Month? Writing a special post on your blog? Putting the ribbon on your Facebook profile? Showing off your beautiful child? Leave a comment and I'll add a link to your post in this blog post.

By Karin (from the HennHouse)

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

I wrote an awareness post over on our blog, and will feature many posts through out the month... my heart is for ACCEPTANCE this year, and that is what I will be focusing on :) We have had a hard year with judging...

Here's to making lots of noise for SB and letting people know what it is all about :)

Joanna said...

There's a post on our blog called "A is for Awareness" you are welcome to link to as well. :)