Friday, August 20, 2010

Cake ingredients

Sometimes, we wonder, "What did I do to deserve this" or "Why did God have to do this to me?"
Well, here is an explanation.
A daughter is telling her mother how everything is going wrong. She's failing algebra, her boyfriend broke up with her and her best friend is moving away.
Meanwhile, her mother is baking a cake. She asks her daughter if she would like a snack. The daughter says, "Absolutely Mom! I love your cake!"

"Here, have some cooking oil," her mother offers.
"Yuck" says the daughter.
"How about a couple of raw eggs?"
"Gross Mom!"
"Would you like some flour then? Or maybe some baking soda?"
"Mom, those are all yucky!"
To which the mother replies: "Yes, all those things seem bad all by themselves. But when they are put together in the right way, they make a wonderfully delicious cake!”

We're making cake fellow moms. With every doctors appointment, therapy session, consultation. Every time we strap on those braces, run a catheter, give meds., do a breathing treatment. We are combining all the ingredients to make ourselves the most wonderful cake of all. Keep doing what you do, friends. Keep smiling, keep fighting, keep loving.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

I love this! Simple, sweet and perfectly stated. :) Thank you for sharing - I am SO blessed to have you all. Much love - Joanna

Summers Family said...

I SO needed this tonight! Annabelle has yet another UTI and I was sitting in the Dr's office today crying, thinking I just can't take this anymore. But then she somehow musters up a smile when I know she is feeling miserable and it all starts to feel ok again. She is the sweetest "cake" I could ever ask for and if having her means all the yucky stuff too than I guess I can do it. Thanks for the reminder. Thank you for this site - a place where I can go and know that everyone here understands me and my struggles.

Nicole