Sunday, March 14, 2010

Taking Care of You

So i dont know about you, but I'm a stress eater. BIG TIME!!! And as you all know, sometimes the life of having a child with Spina Bifida can be stressful. (sidenote: not always, just sometimes.) And if you are a stress eater...well then things like this

Can look really stinkin good during a hospital stay. Or maybe something like this


after a long day at Clinic appointments.

Well, after a few hospital stays or maybe a bad Clinic Day you can have yourself into a heap of trouble.

This happened with me pretty quickly after having Toby. I ate. Good news, bad news it didnt really matter. I ate to celebrate or I ate to cope.

Then I realized when all my friends started giving me their "fat clothes" that it was time for a change. (Dont do this to your friends ladies) haha

So I did what any normal mom would do. I joined Weight Watchers. I quickly and pretty easily shed almost 20 lbs and have kept it off (I know, here I go with my commercials) I am a huge fan of weight watchers. I didnt go to the meetings. They were a little too huggy lovey dovey for me, but I did everything on line. 20LBS was a pretty big deal for me considering I was skinnier than I was in high school, but what I didnt realize was the even bigger deal was that I was healthier and learning how to eat healthier. While I was eating healthier, my family was eating along with me. To me weight watchers is so great for mom's who have kid with Spina Bifida because weight can be such an issue for our kids. When we are eating healthy are kids are eating healthy. It was such a huge learning experience for me. I felt like I was so much better equipped to take care of Toby and monitor his weight.
So that's my commercial for now. But really, even if you arent OVERWEIGHT. (I was still considred in the healthy range when I joined weight watchers) its an awesome program to really learn about nutrition.

So I'm going to leave you with my all time favorite Weight Watcher recipe. SUPER EASY

Taco Soup

1 lb ground beef or ground turkey

1 can diced tomatoes

1 can tomato sauce

1 empty tomato can filled with water

1 can black beans

1 can pinto beans

1 bag FROZEN corn (works much better than can)

1 package taco seasoning

1 package ranch powder seasoning (found near the salad dressings)

Ground beef or turkey then add taco seasoning. While that sits for a minute start opening up all those cans. Dump everything into a big pot including the corn and the seasoned meat. Then add your package of ranch powder. Stir and heat up all the way through. I usually let me sit 15 - 20 mintes to make sure the corn is good and everything seasoned well. That's it YOUR DONE!!

Serve with some Fat Free sour cream, tortilla chips and some light shredded cheese.

Hope you enjoy.

3 comments:

Summers Family said...

Great post! I can so relate to it all. We always get the turkey burgers and fries from the hospital cafeteria :-o Clearly not the best choice, but so comforting when there. I actually did weight watchers before I had my first son in 2005. I learned so much and actually lost 30 lbs! Way more than the 10 lbs the Dr. hinted I should loose. I kept it off the whole year it took us to conceive and was able to loose it after both boys. It has been a bit harder this time with Annabelle, but I honestly haven't really tried. It's been more of an emotional experience but really hope to get back into gear now that day light savings is here and the warmer weather.

Thanks for the reminder, oh an we LOVE the taco soup.

Nicole

Liz said...

Yum, that picture looks good! Now I want a brownie sundae! ;)

Scasmflops said...

LOL! Me too Liz!! Couldn't you have put something yucky up, Kari? I so need to diet, I'm trying. I got the weight watchers app on my iphone. It has helped me to be more conscious of what I eat because I have to track it in my food log. I've lost 6 lbs so far... started 3 weeks ago. P.s. Have always loved taco soup-- had no idea it was weight watchers. YAY!!!!